Sexual Violence Awareness Week was an initiative of the Gold Coast Centre Against Sexual Violence Inc. (formerly Sexual Assault Support Service), which began in 1996. By 1998 it had become Sexual Violence Awareness Month and had spread throughout Queensland, co-ordinated by Sexual Assault Services in various regions.
The Overall Goal is to work towards the elimination of Sexual Violence in our community.
The Objectives are:
- To increase Community awareness of the context, nature and extent of sexual violence
- To impart strategies aimed at maximising safety and minimising risks of sexual violence
- To increase awareness of support services and printed resources available
- Wide dissemination of posters and brochures
- Increased intersectoral co-operation
- To challenge attitudes, values and behaviour in relation to sexual violence
- To provide a diversity of activities designed to encourage participation from a wide range of community members.
The Sexual Violence Awareness Campaign is conducted over the entire month of October each year.