The Cairns Airport Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Cairns is back again for 2017 and has international accreditation with over 3,500 registered competitors.
There are two events which run simultaneously on Sunday June 11, the half course and full course.
The events swim legs will start in Palm Cove at 6.35am and 7.35am respectively.
The bike legs follow from Palm Cove to Port Douglas and back to Cairns.
The run legs follow on Cairns Esplanade and Lake Street, with circuits between Spence Street and Smith Street.
CHANGED TRAFFIC CONDITIONS: A number of traffic conditions will be changed to accommodate athletes involved in Ironman Cairns.
- The Captain Cook Highway, north of Veivers Road Palm Cove to Port Douglas, will be closed completely from 6am to 5.30pm on Sunday June 11.
- Access to and from Palm Cove Village will be via Veivers Road and Palm Cove Boulevard.
- The Captain Cook Highway will have two way traffic all day south of Veivers Road Palm Cove to Cairns including the Cairns Airport.
- Between Palm Cove and Kewarra Beach, the Highway will be split into three lanes, one for north bound traffic, one for south bound, and one for the Ironman cyclists.
- South of Kewarra Beach there will be one lane for south bound traffic and one for the cyclists. The normal two lanes will be open for northbound traffic from Cairns.
The first cyclists will be back onto the Northern Beaches at approximately 8.30am and we expect there will be a steady flow of cyclists for most of the day until approximately 5pm.
UP-TO-DATE changed traffic conditions can be found here.
TRAVEL TIME: Please allow additional time if you are travelling from the Northern Beaches into Cairns City and use the Western Arterial Road via Kamerunga if possible.
CAIRNS AIRPORT: For those travelling to and from the Cairns Airport, it is advised that you allow at least an extra 2 hours to get to the airport as you may encounter delays in traffic flow around this area.
For further information phone the IRONMAN Event Hotline on 1300 761 384