Mount Isa Police are urging motorists to not only check the road conditions but also the weather conditions before commencing journeys.
Acting Senior Sergeant Shaune English said that police have been called to a number of incidents in the past few days due to fast rising flood waters in the Mount Isa District.
“We have undertaken three search and rescue activities in the last two days where motorists have commenced journeys then roads have closed due to rain after they left,” he said.
“With the river systems already full from rain over the last couple of weeks, a lot of roads are closing with short notice where there is rain in the catchment.”
As of today, the below roads are currently closed due to flooding:
- Landsborough Hwy between Winton and Cloncurry
- Flinders Hwy between Cloncurry and Julia Creek
- Diamantina Developmental Rd:
- Mount Isa to Boulia – High Clearance Vehicles
- Boulia to Bedourie – Closed
- Bedourie to Birdsville – Closed
- Kennedy Developmental Rd – Boulia to Winton
- There are also a large number of minor roads with gravel surfaces closed across the District either due to flooding or road damage.
Road closures can be checked at www.131940.qld.gov.au or by calling 131940.
If you have information for police, contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using the online form 24hrs per day.
You can report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers, a registered charity and community volunteer organisation, by calling 1800 333 000 or via crimestoppersqld.com.au 24hrs per day.